Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy are all provided by Derby Health and Rehabilitation located on our campus.
All therapy professionals provide care directly in residents apartments eliminating the need to go elsewhere should you choose.
The professional staff consists of certified physical therapists who are dedicated to applying innovative clinical pathways that ensure each patient receives the utmost in care, on a personalized level.
Our dedicated staff of therapists, and their support team, will work with you to improve the areas that will make the most difference in your life. Each residents is different and it is our goal to create a plan that fits your needs and will help get you back to the life you deserve to live.
Our physical therapists develop comprehensive plans of care that may include:
- Exercises to restore motion, strength, and a greater degree of independence
- Joint and soft tissue mobilization
- Pain management
- Orthotic/prosthetic training
- Education and information specific to the injury or illness
- Fall assessments to teach preventative measures in case of future falls
- Teach back care and injury prevention
- Increase ability to walk distances, with or without a supportive device
Our occupational therapists focus on improving a patient’s ability to perform the activities of daily living (ADL). These may include cooking, dressing, bathing, etc. Residents may also spend time working on conserving energy to make daily activities easier, improving balance, increasing strength in upper extremities, or increasing ability to recognize people, dates, and locations.
Treatment may include:
- Strengthening specific muscle groups to help restore fine and gross motor skills.
- Comprehensive home evaluation and patient education.
- Instruction in adaptive living techniques, joint protection, work simplification, energy conservation and motor coordination.
- Customized adaptive equipment.
Our talented Speech Therapists help you, or your loved one, work with all aspects of communication from slurred speech patterns to improving writing skills.
Our speech-language pathologists offer comprehensive evaluation and treatment plans that may include:
- Improved functional communication skills and speech production
- Improved oral feeding and swallowing skills
- Improved memory and thinking or establishes compensatory strategies in these areas
- Teach alternative methods to communications such as sign language or communication boards